Adventures In Crossdressing Going Out In The U.K Enigma Mad-Hat T-Ball



Have you ever wanted to hang out at Gala Ball ? Wear a fancy dress? Get out and dance a bit en femme ?? My VERY royal gal pal and our overseas correspondent Katey Victoria had that chance recently. I asked her to please share her experience with us all and let us know what is going on & happening overseas in the U.K. So Katey let us all know....how was it ???




Following my one and only outing at Pink Punters last October (see that HERE ), one of the contacts at the club had sent me details of something called the ‘Enigma Mad-Hat T-Ball’ – celebrating the transgender community with a formal ball in safe and supportive surroundings – intriguing, I thought.  This was to be the 8th such ball and tempted me for a couple of reasons:  the chance to do something well away from home again (and suiting my secretive nature); and a real opportunity to properly ‘glam up’ with a gorgeous red gown I had acquired last year (I couldn’t resist it…) and to be able to dance the night away in a social atmosphere -  I wasn't disappointed.





This has to be one of the larger events of its type in the south of the UK but even so it's not huge – venue was the modern event hall at Woburn Safari Park in the grounds of Woburn Abbey some 30 miles north of London.  Apparently, in the 1840’s  the Duchess Anna Maria, wife of the 7th Duke of Bedford, didn't actually invent the social custom of Afternoon Tea, but made it popular by entertaining her friends (including Queen Victoria), at Woburn Abbey.  Hence a modern ‘T-Ball’ being patronised by a lot of Queens… ;)





My prep began Friday evening with a night in to intensively get up to speed on makeup and trial the dress and accessories.  I was tentatively hoping to get out Friday as well but a last minute domestic issue required some remote management from the hotel room, but it was time well spent (and enjoyed…).   Saturday required a recce of the venue location before some last minute shopping (red, red lipstick!) and meeting up with Isabella (my remote partner in-crime for this event who I had made contact with on crossdressers.com) for coffee and guy chat.  


Isabella was a really nice person and it turns out we share a number of perspectives about this little passion of ours, so good vibes already.  I'd known from Friday's dry run I wanted a clear 3 hours to prep and not be pressured so just after 4 we quit coffee and tea and returned to the 'ready rooms'.
Most things went according to plan but the contingency time came in useful in suffering a twin eyelash fail (throw away old glue girls – it goes off!) successfully replaced more securely and then managing to misplace an earring of a pair I'd set aside the previous evening specifically for the event (recovered the following day... hmph!) – so on went my biggest gold hoops…  I know, but they feel really nice and I like them.   Isabella gratefully met me at my room as I had lost a little time vainly searching for the missing earring – and appeared as 6 foot plus of Hollywood glam and taffeta complete with faux fur stole.  OK – so hopefully everyone would think I was the maiden aunt rather than Isabella’s mum – but what the heck!  The two of us then headed down to the lobby drawing a few looks – but two gorgeous gals, glammed to the nines..?  What else would you expect…?




Out to the car – now this would be a first!  Not driving in heels, but manipulating this long pleated dress to not get grubby before the event (car washed earlier too) and ensuring Isabella was OK getting seated.  Now a brief 20 minute drive and once we found the open gate to the estate (not the first one we tried) we made our way through the long entrance drive that runs through the Safari Park.  Now – and a few times before – my mind begins to wander about the prospect of a newspaper report of two crossdressers who accidentally stray into the lion enclosure, late at night, and the only thing that was recovered was a black fur stole and a red feather boa…  ha ha.  We arrive safely and park without a hint of fur, tooth or claw, other than Isabella’s (fake) stole.



I had deliberately not driven with my opera gloves on, but actually could have – so a little time was spent with finishing touches at the car and with a wicked, frosty wind blowing across my bare shoulders.  Lastly the little hairpiece I’d selected went on only to be blown away before we’d got indoors and recovered by the nice, burly security man – who I think called me ‘miss’.  Sweet!   And we arrive – fashionably late – but with everyone else seeming to know each other it’s not always good timing, but we were greeted by a glass of fizz and that soon put the glow back in our cheeks.  First stop after that was the ladies’ (restroom) as I felt like my hair had been blown three sheets to the wind…  A quick brush, check lippy and eyelashes all secure and then out to find ourselves another drink and somewhere to plant our bottoms and handbags for the evening.







The people were friendly on the whole – a number came across from other tables to say hello to the obvious newbies, which was welcoming – the live music was very good and varied, from swing to disco, and the dancing plentiful.  My appetite had all but disappeared with my nerves, so not a lot of eating went on but that wasn’t really why I was there.  I wanted to do something more obviously glamorous and this definitely was.  The nerves soon evaporated after the first (and only) glass of bubbly and my maiden trip out to the dance floor soon despatched any remaining reserve.







The evening there went quickly with some pleasant conversation amidst the music and dancing – midnight coming fairly quickly and seeming early, AND the heels were holding up well, so we headed over, as planned, to Pink Punters where free entry and more refreshment and modern music beckoned.  Irritatingly, after being tailed by a police patrol car right into the car park, parking and then walking the length of the car park; a huge queue leading into the venue became evident (and probably the reason for the local constabulary to be present) and was not encouraging.  After a brief debate and vote in the sub zero wind-chill, we elected to take our pursuit of alcoholic refreshment back to the Hilton’s bar rather than braving the elements for an indeterminate period…  Yes!  A vanilla venue…  This would be yet another first for the weekend…

Back in the car again – wrong way out of the car park to avoid the crowds – back to the hotel in less than 10 and into the quiet bar.  We got a few looks from the half dozen or so guys present in the lobby and bar area, and I had to accost a passing staff member to get served (could they really have missed us so easily…???) but eventually we had the attention of a polite young man who eventually returned with the relevant poisons.  I have to say, even with the bar quiet, it felt both affirming and comfortable to be both glammed up and somewhere completely normal.  What a super feeling and I know that the presence of both me and Isabella there would have lifted the celebrity status of the place immensely…  :p  It was a relaxed and convivial way to finish a really fun, sociable and progressive evening.  I’m sure this will not be the last event of this type I make an appearance at… and just doing this has really helped my understanding of what I enjoy doing AND my confidence to go do what I want to do, which is – once in a while – to be as fabulous and glamorous as I can!


Wow Katey it looks like you had a BLAST !!!!! Awesome Sauce !!! And you looked great too ! So fun !!!. Thanks for filling us all in on what is going on in the U.K. If you are located in the U.K and are looking to get out & party a bit be sure to check out http://www.pinkpunters.com/ they do a great event for us Crossdressers !!!

Do you live in the U.SA and are looking for a fun Gala Ball type Event to hang out at ? There is one coming up here in the U.S in April put on by the leading transformation service Femme Fever ..for more information on that event CLICK HERE and check out Femme Fever's website too for Transformation Services, Makeovers, Clothing,Events, Support Groups etc RIGHT HERE